Friday, February 10, 2012

Purple Cow


When JiMele came to my place to make cupcakes she brought supplies to make drinks! But these were not just any drinks, these were supplies to make a concoction called a Purple Cow!



This is JiMele, hi!  I should say that I have never had a purple cow, and only found out what it actually was around Thanksgiving.  I thought it sounded as intriguing as it did gross.  I bet you really want one now!  Don't judge until you have finished reading...better yet, until you have made one of these for yourself!  
It's fun!



I give the floor back to Ash:
We started with a splash of a sweet, grapey red wine from an Indiana winery (concord grape Juice would make a perfect non-alcoholic substitute). Next, a dollop of vanilla ice cream went in the glass and it all got topped off with bubbly. It came out much like an alcoholic ice cream soda with the flavor of a dreamsicle, if dreamcicles were flavored with grape rather than orange.


An old-fashioned-soda-shop Purple Cow is made by putting a few tablespoons concord grape syrup in a tall glass, filling with vanilla ice cream and topping with soda water.  The thing I had to get past was the soda water and ice cream combo...


but the concord grape syrup gave me an idea!  There is a winery near by (you may have heard of Oliver Winery) that has a wine called Sweet Red.  This is a very sweet concord grape wine.  Basically grape juice with a kick!  


I thought we better skip the club soda and use dry bubbles.  An inexpensive bottle of brut bubbly, like cava will do the trick nicely.  I do not suggest a sweeter alternative like prosecco or moscato because it's sweet enough with ice cream and the sweet red wine.



It looks kinda like a science experiment, but it tastes SOOO much better!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Pink Cow 
(for those lucky enough to have at least 21 years of life experience)
Fill about 1/3 of your glass with Concord grape wine, like Oliver Soft Red
Put as much ice cream as you can fit (or stand) in the glass
Carefully top with brut bubbles, cava


Enjoy with a spoon or straw, and don't give this one to the kids-o's!

(ok, go make one, then you can judge.  Let us know what you think!)


Linked up with 33 Shades of Green

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of and old children's rhyme.
    I never saw a purple cow
    I never hope to see one,
    But I can tell you anyhow
    I'd rather see than be one.

    Well, now that I have seen a purple cow, I sure wouldn't mind drinking one. I am a happy new follower from Tasty Tuesday. Would love to have you visit me.
    Laura
    http://www.imsovintage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete