Monday, November 28, 2011

Crystallized Honey

I love honey.  I eat it by the spoonful.  I do like to put it in tea, but right off spoon is better.  If you keep your house cool in the winter you will notice your honey getting thicker and eventually a little gritty.  Gee, doesn't that sound appetizing?  I promise, it is.  Crystallized honey is so good.

Once it is time to turn on the heat I usually  keep it in the upper 60's.  Putting on a sweatshirt is cheaper than turning up the heat, and more environmentally friendly.  Yes, I am a bit of a tree-huger.  Back to golden delicious honey.  The cool winter temperature in my house means that my honey crystallizes quickly.  It does not mess with usability, it just gives it a new attitude, and goes great as a topping on something like this:



Greek yogurt (or regular) with strawberries, honey and a sprinkle of chopped nuts.  The honey can be normal or crystallized and it is still good.  Basically, yogurt and fruit are good, throw in honey and chopped nuts and it becomes amazingly good.  

Don't like crystals in your honey?  Just place your honey container in a bowl of hot water.  It will soften the crystals and go back to normal.

My belly needed something a bit less starchy and carbohydrate-y, also known as Thanksgiving leftovers.  Yogurt, strawberries, and honey is just right.  If you think this sounds good but you want something a little more substantial, try adding some granola or gramcrackers.
Oh-so-yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment